Developmental Services Special Interest Group
OUR MISSION: To enhance and promote the profession of directly supporting people with a developmental disability.
- DSSIG Application
- DSSIG Staff Survey Report
- DSSIG DSW Survey Report
- DSW Code of Ethics2017
- DSW Standards of Practice – Revised May 2017
The DSSIG has been working toward professionalization of the field. The first step of professionalization is the creation of Professional Standards. Please review the Professional Standards which you can access in the link above DSSIG DSW Standards of Practice. Please remember to check this site for further developments.
OUR VISION: We envision a time when people directly supporting people with a developmental disability are:
- respected professionals
- well educated
- adequately compensated
- provided with access to ongoing supports
- an essential element of an integrated professional network
- practitioners of a prescribed standard of practice
- the work of supporting individuals is vital to our society
- this support is critical to the quality of life of people with a developmental disability
- people in the profession need ongoing education and training.
- respect for the profession enhances quality of life for the people supported
- must be individual members of OADD
- have an interest in supporting our Mission
Jo Anne Nugent
Humber College, Toronto
416-675-6622, extension 3257
Fanshawe College, London
In 2013 at the First Annual DSSIG Seminar day (part of the 2013 OADD Annual Conference) a group was formed to begin the process of professionalizing Developmental Services Workers. The new group is called the Ontario College of Developmental Services Workers Steering Committee.
Below are the terms of reference and minutes of the group (as available).
TERMS OF REFERENCE: click here to download